Saturday, April 25, 2009

I'm a Twit

For the past 10 or so days I've been tweeting. I'm a twit. Twat? Not sure of the correct terminology.

I joined the 'social networking' site Twitter. Kind of like sending text messages to all and sundry. Anybody that wants to 'follow' me will see everything I post, but I can only post 140 characters at a time.

There would be absolutely no draw to this service if celebrities weren't also twits. And I mean that in the kindest way possible. Really.

But celebrities do, and some have way more time on there hands that you or I do, twittering many dozen times a day.

Ashton Kutcher, the 'Dude Where's my Car', Kelso, Butterfly Effect guy is probably the King of the Twits. If you decide to sign up (it's free and easy) look for @aplusk. Don't be shy about following his posts; at last check he had over 1'.4 million people hanging on his every tweet.

The draw, as I said, is the celebrity content. Everyone except Jon Stewart posts there with vary levels of regularity.

The average Joe, like myself, can have the vicarious thrill of knowing what's going on in Kim Kardasian's life (lots of flying around to parties), that Hugh Jackman just spent time at Disney World with his family or that Lily Allen just got back to her English home and was glad to see her garden again.

Pete Wentz tweets like a mad fool, keeping the avid reader current with what's going on while on tour. If you want over the top, scandalous gossipy up to the minute stuff, take a gander at Perez Hilton's twittering. For the more intellectual (and, at times, funny), follow Anderson Cooper.

It's addictive. Once you start posting, you can't stop. I expect the service draws those that are by nature exhibitionists, and I must be one because in the past 11 days I've posted 124 times.

I'm very curious about the Twitter business model. There's no advertising on the site, and no subscription fees. At the rate users grow the back end must need upgrading on a regular basis. Wil Wheaton, in his blog, references this with "Finally, on the off-chance that someone who makes Twitter go sees this: please let me give you money. I love Twitter and I really want to support it so it doesn't go away."

So. I'm addicted. I usually post some inanity in the hope that I get a laugh from someone. A few people are 'following' me. Sixty-four, to be precise. That's a big jump from 24 hours ago when only 18 were following me. Then the Kutch, @aplusk, responded to one of my comments and 46 of his 1.4 million followers started following me also. Oh, the pressure.

Final note, the two most off the wall posters I've seen so far? No surprise, really. Steve Buscemi comes across just as you'd expect him to...very much like Rockhound in Armageddon. (Typical post? "...is going skydiving in a mumu dress & shooting guns tomorrow...preferably simultaneously and drunk as fuck on Absolut, Patron, and cheap rum.")

And Rob Corddry...please get help. I know you're a bit off the wall, and that's your 'charm', but my God..."I'm doing market research. Would you rather I Tweet about my children or diarrhea? Because I can fucking hold forth on both. Same thing?"

So sign up folks. Follow me. Have a laugh and eavesdrop on the stars.

No comments:

Followers