Friday, October 24, 2008

Freakin' OUCH -- The Sequel (this time it's personal)

Yeah, I know, sequels tend to suck.

Went to the Hornsby Ku-Ring-Gai Hospital Emergency room at 0-dark hundred this morning 'cause sleep wasn't really in the cards.

After the poking (way too much) and prodding (really, way too much) and "Take a deep breath Mr. McFadden" (are you frickin' serious?!?!?) and far too much pressing the sore chest up against the uncomfortably cold x-ray machine, the good Dr. (insert Indian name here -- I didn't catch it) informed me that my diagnosis of a cracked rib was completely wrong (silly me). I had "possibly" a torn muscle.

I guess the good news from this is that there actual muscles in my torso. Here I thought it was all flab.

Anyway...

I was scolded for not taking pain killers a week ago to moderate the pain. Apparently it's good to take drugs. At least the legal kind.

They jabbed me with a healthy shot of Toradol which worked out well. The shoulder hurt so much after the jab I completely forgot about the ribs. Instructed to take Neurophen with codeine for the next three days.

Good news -- I can take moderately deep breaths now.

Bad news -- I have to lay off the booze this weekend.

In the grand scheme of things, this is not really serious (I know a guy who recently had a couple of lungs replaced...a torn muscle in the ribs is a day at the topless beach compared to that).

And it gives me an excuse to not mow the lawn this weekend.

T - 66 days and counting...

No comments:

Followers